Have I got a treat for you today! We’re taking the good ol’ peanut butter and jelly sandwich and BUMPING THINGS UP A NOTCH. Actually make that *NOTCHES
I don’t call this sandwich a grown-up pb&j because you have to be grown up to appreciate it (I appreciate it. I’m nowhere near grown-up material. Exhibit A.) In all honesty, I don’t know why I called it that. It’s not like things are inherently more awesome when they’re “grown-up,” but it sure makes the name more intriguing, am I right?
It’s like, “Oooooh, progress has happened. What has changed?! I must check it out!”
Was that your thought process? I bet it was. Cuz here you are reading. (*fist pump*)
Anyway, I have made some adjustments to a sandwich that was already delicious, so this version can only be described as SPECTACULAR.
We’re upping the excitement, the texture, the flavors, and the nutrition today!
1. First I swapped almond butter for peanut butter. I did this for a couple of reasons, one being that almonds have more Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, and iron than peanuts. Most of us don’t get enough iron from our diet, so eat your almonds, people! Also almonds=YUM.
2. We’re using strawberry preserves in this sandwich because I love strawberries, and they’re loaded with Vitamin C. Know what that does? Helps your body better absorb iron from plant-based sources. HOLLLLLA.
3. The remaining changes I made create a texture adventure for your mouth. (#rhymez) I added… sliced strawberries. And slivered almonds. And then…
4. I grilled the whole sandwich. Like a grilled cheese. Only not. I understand if you need a moment to catch your breath.
Here’s something that was true for the original pb&j too, but is worth pointing out: this sandwich is a complete protein! Nuts and the grains in the bread together provide you with enough of all the essential amino acids.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 tbsp. almond butter
- 3 tbsp. sliced almonds
- 4 tbsp. strawberry preserves
- 4-6 strawberries, sliced into half-inch rounds
- Earth Balance (or butter) for frying
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Spread two of the bread slices generously with almond butter. Sprinkle the sliced almonds on top and gently press into the almond butter so that the almonds don't fall off.
- On the other two slices of bread, spread the preserves and lay the strawberry slices on top in an even layer.
- Put the sandwiches together. Melt some Earth Balance in the pan and spread a bit more on the outside of the top piece of bread.
- Place the sandwiches gently in the pan, buttered side up, and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip carefully and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Enjoy!
- Get creative! You could try grape jelly with raisins, or raspberry preserves with raspberries. Let me know what you try!